@rustygears I'm not sure, I'm in the process of switching the game over to using Unity's new input system. Have you tried the control tester app that I put up in this thread http://www.uhlhydroplanes.com/topic/239/unity-new-input-system-testing
Posts made by Scott Przybylski
RE: How to set up a Thrustmaster T150 for the hydrosim?
Unity new Input System testing
Hey everyone, I'm trying to update to Unity's new Input System. In doing so I ended up running into some issues with my own setup, so I made a ControlTest app.
If you could download this and reply with your wheel / pedals (or gamepad) and whether or not you're able to bind Inputs correctly.
If your setup doesn't work, can you click the little copy button next to the device name and then either paste it into your reply or paste it into a text file and attach it to your reply?
I'll keep a running list of what I know works / doesn't work, you only need to reply if your device isn't on the list:
Fanatec CSR Wheel
Fanatec Club Sport Pedals V3
Fanatec CSL Elite
HydroSim v0.7.0.0-b23 Beta
This version has some big changes, especially with physics, so while the physics is being tuned, beta versions will be linked here.
Note: The boats engine no longer starts automatically, you must press (and hold) the ignition button / key (Default is
I, can be re-mapped in the Input dialog).
- Fixed roostertail particle physics.
- Made some changes to fin physics and hydro collision shape to try and make turning better
- Fixed the previous fix, inputs exceeding the 0/-1 to 1 range will be automatically scaled now, so you still get the full range of motion.
- Made some more tweaks to the physics to try and make turning better.
- Fixed an issue where inputs could go outside the range of 0 to 1 or 1- to 1. There does seem to be an underlying issue with certain devices where they do not seem to get the full range of motion that they should.
- Updated Unity to 2019.4.f19, this update removes the little launcher dialog where you used to bind inputs / configure graphics. All of this is done in-game now via the Settings.
- Added Input binding to the Controls settings menu.
- Added option to use 2 pedals for the canard.
- Added Graphics settings from the old launcher dialog into the game. Now supports Windowed, Exclusive fullscreen and Fullscreen window modes.
- Added master volume setting to Other settings.
- Game settings can now be changed when connected to the server. The gear icon now opens those settings. The notes icon opens the race rules / admin panel now.
- Ignition and boat reset buttons now must be held for half a second.
- Tweaked Force Feedback a bit. Can now change the sensitivity of rudder and boat forces independently.
- Now simulating the propeller at 1000hz which seems to make the boat ride better.
- Made changes to the propeller / fin physics calculations that help make the boat feel better.
- Made some tweaks to the torque curve and prop slip of all the boats.
- Made some minor adjustments to the tunnel physics.
- Slightly offset the tunnel to the right on the Unlimited to keep the left sponson from lifting on the straights.
v0.7.0.0-b19 (Note: This build is currently only for Windows)
- First attempt at adding force feedback to the game. Only works on Windows. You can adjust sensitivity and gain in the settings menu in game.
- Added rev limiter to the GP boat.
- Fixed some bugs when trying to playback replays.
- Fixed a bug where boats could receive wrong data packets causing the netcode/replays to look wacky.
- Server list! Now hosting a master server, so dedicated servers can announce themselves to the world. HydroSim will now show the server list when clicking the Join button.
- As a Christmas present to everyone that's been eagerly waiting for GP boats. Kallen Washburn made a ton of progress on the GP models, so I started playing around with physics for the new hull. I've added an early preview GP hull to play around with. It's far from complete, still needs some modelling work and texture mapping and there isn't really support on most of the courses for GP boats yet. GP sound effects are by Gavin McClure.
- Fixed issue where way too many buoy synchronization messages were being sent over the network (might help with disconnects).
- Changed disconnect timeout to 10 seconds to hopefully help with disconnects.
- Fixed buoy position/rotation interpolation to be smoother.
- Fixed a bug where the boat wouldn't move with the trailer when the spawn was changed in replays.
- Fixed a bug where boats on trailers could fall through the ground when pausing/unpausing replays.
- Brought all the physics changes on the Turbine hull to the Piston hull. Piston hull still likely needs tweaks to the engine torque curve.
- Changed setup skidfin angle range to 18 - 22.
- Fixed a bug where the server could start sending the client messages before any of the message handlers were registered. This would lead to a bunch of errors being logged to the console and possibly other issues.
- Fixed a bug where the initial boat state could be received by the client before the hydroplane object was created. This would cause boats to look like they were skipping around weird if you join the server and boats were out on the water.
- Fixed a bug where the U-9 didn't have any sound.
- Added ability to configure some advanced server settings in a config file, so I can tweak things to hopefully make server disconnects better without having to make new game builds.
- Reduced memory allocations in several places to try and help with frame stutters.
- Re-worked replay system, so that it now pre-allocates a circular buffer of memory (the length can be configured in the settings in game), so its not allocating memory each frame.
- Separated the visual / physical meshes for the rudder and prop.
- Re-worked netcode, trying to make it more accurate and fix hovering boat issues. Added some more debug visual aids, so I could better understand whats happening.
- Reduced size of hydroplane network messages.
- Reduced buoy network traffic by only sending data from the server if the buoy position / orientation changed significantly.
- Tweaked some other network config settings to try and help with disconnect issues.
- Added ability to disable saving replays by session (from settings menu).
- Added ability to specify replay buffer size in minutes. Note this will pre-allocate memory for the replay. From experimentation, setting this to 60mins uses about 300-400mb ram.
- Fixed bug (hopefully) where boat could get launched into the stratosphere.
- Fixed bug (hopefully) where other client boats would start vibrating, lose their roostertail and sounds weird?
I believe both of the above bugs were caused by certain situations where the tunnel physics could erroneously generate large amounts of negative lift. I think this fix may also make the boat feel less bouncy.
- Fixed bug where boat could sink / get stuck to the bottom underwater.
- Fixed bug where boats would move backwards to the dock spawn, when driving away from the pits.
- Fixed issue where the replay time could cover the admin submit button. It may still get covered in some weird resolutions.
- Fixed a bug when getting disconnected from the server while driving. If you re-joined the server, the UI would still look like you were on the water.
- Tweaked wake particles by adding randomness to their velocities so they spread out over time instead of staying in a straight line.
- Added ability to change target frame rate to use VSync or limit to custom FPS.
- Fixed bug where the skidfin spray emitter was rotated 90 degrees.
- Fixed bug where the clock on the client wasn't syncing to the server correctly.
- Canard now acts as a total lift multiplier instead of changing input velocity.
- Shrunk the width (front to back) of the rudder
- Tweaked water dynamic force properties
- Added ability for server admin to change the wind speed which also affects the water roughness.
- Fixed a bug where pausing the replay, then joining the course would cause emitted particles to freeze in place.
- Physics tweaks to try and make turning faster, less bouncy, a little easier to keep the boat from flipping.
- Fixed VR issues at several courses.
- Fixed reflection probes at all courses.
- Fixed bug where turning the engine off and then back on would act as a brake.
- Changed how timing is calculated to hopefully fix the time dilation issues on the server.
- Tweaked netcode prediction code to try and make it more accurate.
- Completely re-modeled the hydroplane physics mesh using real world measurements. Re-positioned rudder / prop (will need to de-couple this from the rendered model).
- Tweaked engine torque curve and other physics properties a bit.
- Change shaft angle range back to 6 - 8 degrees.
- Added ability to adjust left/right runner angles in the setup.
- Fixed bug where boat would sometimes sink to the bottom of the water after leaving and re-joining the course.
- Fixed a long standing bug with the tunnel physics on dedicated server.
- Tweaked tunnel physics some more, should be a little more forgiving, boat still seems to bounce too much sometimes though.
- Updated water physics to increase fluid density based on velocity of the triangle, this should make the water feel harder when the boat is going faster.
- Tweaked some of the netcode smoothing now that some tunnel issues are fixed.
- Prop shaft setup range is now 4 - 6 degrees.
- Skidfin angle range is now 12 - 20 degrees
Note: This update drastically affects the way the boat flies and how the canard control works. It should be more realistic now.
- Fixed a bug with audio in replays.
- Fixed some broken Team.xml files.
- Fixed a bug with the tunnel physics that wasn't properly taking into account the orientation of the boat.
- Unity version was updated, Cross-compiling to Mac works again, so I've created a Mac build (I still do not own a Mac to test this with)
- Updated the physics mesh to better reflect the model at the back-end of the boat.
- Canard now affects the input velocity into the tunnel simulation instead of just being a multiplier on the output.
- Tweaked tunnel and propeller physics properties some more.
- New engine and propeller physics simulation. Huge thanks to @ToddWasson for helping me implement this! The propeller is now simulated by spinning a semi-propeller shaped mesh and applying forces on the submerged triangles. This then provides a load to feed back into the engine simulation.
- Lots of physics changes, trying to make cornering more realistic (faster and less slidey).
- Updated Cinemachine, has fixes to help smooth out some camera jittering.
- Updated Crest water library.
- Tweaks to default water properties, made more directional.
- Added boat setups, can now change the prop pitch, diameter, shaft angle, gear ratios, and skidfin angles.
- New spawning system, added trailers to spawn boats in the pits when joining the server. Spawn location can be changed by pressing
- Added engine ignition (Defaults to
Ikey, can be re-mapped in the Input dialog).
- Added ability to reload textures while in game to help with painting boats, you can update the DDS files in the Team folder and then press
Ctrl+Rto reload the textures of the boat that is the camera target.
- Fixed issues with timing planes at Lake Havasu.
- Performance issues caused by terrain when zooming in really far.
HydroSim v0.6.9.0 - Miami
- New course: Miami!
- Fixed a bug where timing info wouldn't show up when driving the Piston Unlimited.
- Tweaked server netcode a bit, should help with buoys, still not perfect.
- Fixed a bug where multiple Jump the gun penalties could be assessed.
- Spread boat texture loading across multiple frames to try and mitigate stutter when boats join the water.
RE: HydroSim v0.6.8.1 - Scoops!
@radinsky Hmmm, I haven't noticed this, but I can take a look. If you could figure out steps to reproduce that would be great.
Also, the game saves a log file that can help me track down issues sometimes. If this happens to you again, could you attach the log file here? You'll need to grab it after you exit the game, if you start the game again, it will get overwritten.
It's located at
HydroSim v0.6.8.1 - Scoops!
- Fixed a bug causing errors when several boats were out on the water.
- Gun jump penalties should be fixed now.
- Added lots of new scenery to San Diego.
- Updated San Diego course layout with real world coordinates.
- Changed how wake foam is rendered to look more realistic.
- Changed the hardware template so that the plexifin on the boat can be textured.
- Attempted to fix gun jump penalty issues where it would count the lap, but also give a penalty.
- Fixed some memory leak issues with the replay list.
- Fixed a bug when viewing replays loaded from files that would cause extra CPU usage.
- Option to add salt water scoops to the turbine boats. (Opacity slider in graphics settings for the TV Cockpit view).
HydroSim v0.6.7.0 - Seattle updates
- Added lots of new scenery to Seattle
- Updated Seattle cameras.
- Updated U-440
- Bugs with gun jump and 1 minute buoys should be fixed.
- Fixed bugs with netcode prediction that were happening on the server.
- Tried to smooth out boat rotation more with netcode / replays.
- U-1 Miss HomeStreet
- U-7 Boitano Homes
HydroSim v0.6.6.0 - New courses
- 2 new courses added. Evansville (sort of an odd D shape) and Lake Havasu (Tri-Oval).
- Made netcode interpolation smoother, fixed issues where the boat would completely stop due packet loss/delayed packets. The replays use the same interpolation code, so the replays should also be a bit smoother.
- Fixed some performance issues with global illumination and reflection probes (may see an fps increase). May also fix some frame stuttering issues.
- Updated the Crest water library to latest.
- Playing around with making the water rougher at Detroit.
HydroSim v0.6.5.1 - Scenery update
This is mainly a scenery update. Lots of scenery added to Tri-Cities. Started adding buildings using real world data to multiple courses.
- Bug with runtime building generator causing CPU usage to spike (this was causing the server to choke and timing was getting out of whack on certain courses.)
- FPS network stats readout was spewing errors in host mode causing intermittent framerate drops.
7/10/2020 Dedicated Server Hotfix (same version number)
NOTE - If you're running a dedicated server, I recommend re-downloading the game, I updated the archive with a server hotfix for Detroit/Madison.
- Cloth physics was running for all levels of detail of the flag at Tri-Cities at the same time.
- Fog is now applied to the water shader.
- Buildings generated using real world data for Tri-Cities, Madison, and Detroit.
- Added trees, cranes, towers, canopies, etc to Tri-Cities.
- Added secondary camera for rendering far away background objects (Mt Rainier, Rattlesnake Mt, downtown Detroit).
- Added additional graphics settings for setting the draw distance of buildings and course details. Setting either of these to 0 will disable rendering of these.
- Enabled terrain tessellation at Tri-Cities, Guntersville, and Seattle.
- Fixed an issue in the water shader that was causing a pretty huge performance hit.
- The exhaust guard on the turbine hydro hull was mapped to the wrong texture, it's now mapped to the Hull.dds
- Made roostertail length shorter to be more realistic.
- Fixed issue where roostertails would drift inwards in the turns.
- Fixed issues with roostertail physics.
- Fixed issue where boats would slide across the water when first spawning onto the course.
- Fixed a bug where the distance traveled along the race course was calculated using the center of the boat instead of the front. This was causing some issues with gun jumping penalties getting added for legal boats.
- Fixed an issue with the network stats in the ctrl+f debug display getting cutoff at certain resolutions.
- Flags are now displayed on the HUD. This will help with awareness of penalties, start, last lap, finish, etc.
- Current position is now displayed on the HUD.
- Automated 1-minute pin penalties. The 1-minute pin is at the exit of turn 1 on all courses. This is disabled by default, but can be turned on in the server admin settings under Rules.
- New nose camera.
- Updated U-11 J&D's hull texture.
- Updated the cockpit graphics, mainly pulled some more models/textures from HydroMod and tried to clean it up.
- Updated Crest water library to latest.
HydroSim v0.6.3.0 - H1 Unlimited E-League!
Big update! Several bugfixes and some new features for the H1 Unlimited's new E-League!
- Added Piston Unlimiteds! Each team (in StreamingAssets) has an xml file now that specifies which hull to use along with other info, so custom piston paintjobs can be added.
- Replaced all of the boats included in the game with the 2020 H1 Unlimited E-League teams.
- Added Madison 2 mile course.
- Added ability to specify server passwords.
- Completely re-vamped replay list menu. Allows sorting, deleting, renaming replay files.
- Re-worked netcode to make turns more accurate.
- Guntersville course layout updated to match the 2019 course more closely.
- Updated both Madison courses to have trees.
- New UI button style thanks to Matt Johnson.
- The nex/previous driver buttons for the camera now select the driver ahead or behind the current driver.
- Bug where boats could collide with eachother in the solo-qualifying session.
- Fixed an issue with the logic when connecting to the server, handshaking is now performed before the course loads.