Update up! Merry Christmas!
Posts made by Scott Przybylski
HydroSim Physics testing v0.6.1.0-p6
Hey everyone, I've been working to try and make the hydroplane physics feel / look better and I would like feedback to tweak this before its released and ready to be used for league racing. I will post updates in this thread and welcome any feedback especially from those of you who have actually driven a hydro.
- More tweaks to the tunnel physics to try and make it more realistic.
- Canard now modifies the lift coefficients of the tunnel rather than height / angle which fixes an issue with the boat blowing over when you stomp on the canard pedal among other things.
- Added basic wind simulation to the physics. Each course currently has wind setup in a fixed direction, it varies a little bit randomly.
- Made some more tweaks to the water splash/spray particles.
- Differen't approach to simulating the hydroplane tunnel using some lift/ground effect equations from https://www.academia.edu/6159865/Application_of_Theory_to_Hydroplane_Design
- Currently the canard is now modifying the height / angle of the tunnel rather than acting as a separate wing.
- More flighty (Probably too much)
- More slidey
- Less rolly
- Made water spray less obnoxious
- Canard pivot is now at the front of the wing where it should be.
- More flighty?
- More slidey?
- Bug affecting camera/boat skin when entering course while replay is playing.
- Fixed sunken ship simulator.
RE: rfactor boat models
Kallen Washburn made the UL / GP and several vintage models. Tom Mihelich made the original generic shovel nose hull.
I mostly just did the texture UV mapping and putting the models in game.
I probably have some source files on an old hd somewhere. Kallen might have some of the files. I believe there is a blender importer for the rfactor gmt mesh files.
HydroSim Alpha v0.6.0.4
- Bug that could cause the course length to be calculated incorrectly on the client.
- Bug that would cause buoys that were dislodged to not reset their velocity properly when changing sessions or resetting buoys. This could cause buoys to detach and potentially get out of sync with the server.
- Bug in the replay gui when connected to the server that would cause the driver name to not update / say the wrong name.
- Bug where the server would disconnect all the clients when switching race courses.
- Reduced height of skidfin spray and width of skidfin / prop spray.
- Fixed start/finish buoy hovering above the water.
- Big FPS drop at Guntersville.
- General performance optimizations (should see general FPS increase).
- Flickering shadows in Guntersville TV camera near pits.
- Game not exiting properly.
- Bug with connection timing out when connecting to the server.
- Bug with replay not recording when first connecting to the server.
- Trees / Vegetation to Seattle and Guntersville.
- Added cranes to Seattle and Guntersville (sorry just static scenery for now).
- Display settings menu with additional options for tweaking performance.
- Control settings menu, currently just allows inverting the throttle/canard axis.
- Race clock in replays. (Old replays will no longer work with this update).
- Version number check when connecting to the server.
- Cockpit camera.
- Unity to version 2018.4 and other 3rd party package versions.
- Time of day in replays.
- Re-worked buoy net-code to hopefully fix levitating and sinking buoys
- Issues with chopper cameras.
- Issues with how throttle and canard inputs we're being handled.
Note: Having issues getting Mac build to succeed, so removed from downloads for now.
RE: How do I make a dedicated server?
At the bottom of the page I wrote how to run a dedicated server: http://www.uhlhydroplanes.com/hydrosim
Mainly you need to pass several command line arguments to the executable. When you do this, you won't see anything launch, it will look like nothing happened, however it is running. You'll see the process running in the windows task manager. Eventually, I'll make a wrapper app to add a UI for the dedicated server.
Also, there's currently no master server list, so you connect by IP address or host name.
RE: Dedicated Server help?
It probably loaded, you won't actually see a window pop up or anything. It runs in the background.
After running that, bring up Task Manager ctrl+alt+esc. Click Details tab. You should see a HydroSim.exe process running. Also, to shut the server down, you'll need to do it through the task manager by killing the process.
RE: Ideas for future additions
- I won't be adding any new courses right now, I'm going to try and start adding more detail to the existing ones first.
- New boat hulls are in the plans, but this is just a hobby for me and I only have so much time to work on things.
- That's up to whoever is running the league.
- With the current water library I'm using, wake effects don't affect the boat physics, but I can adjust how rough the water is for the entire course. I'm planning, in the future, to switch over to the Crest Ocean library which supports interactive wakes and other interactive water features. I've done some quick tests with it and reported some bugs to the dev. It's in pretty active development, so I'm waiting for some bugs to be worked out before I put in a full effort to switch to it.
Right now I've started working on some 3D models for the pit areas. Unfortunately, I've been really busy with work and taking care of a baby, so I haven't been able to get anything done the past couple weeks.
HydroSim Alpha v0.5.5.0
- Basic VR support for Oculus, can be enabled by running with
-vrmode Oculuscommand line argument
- Support for metallic / smoothness maps and added default metallic maps.
- Added U-1918 Oberto with metallic maps.
- Added U-9 Les Schwab with metallic maps.
- U-100 Leland and U-9 Jones teams.
- Finished up the Blue Bridge at Tri-Cities
- Cinemachine and Postprocessing libraries.
- Flame animation slowing down in replay.
- Attemping to fix hovering/sinking buoys again.
- Water reflections.
- Basic VR support for Oculus, can be enabled by running with
HydroSim Alpha v0.5.4.1
- Potentially fixed weird physics glitch / buoys launching into the air. (Might not be fixed, needs testing)
- Fixed yacht material color
- Seattle race course
- Smoothed out Tri-Cities terrain.
- Replay drivers scrollbar was linked to chat window.
- Fixed CPU usage for dedicated server (hopefully this finally fixes all the server issues).
- Yacht on start / finish of Mission Bay was hovering in the air.
- Updated to Unity 2018.2.17f1
RE: SNHL Season 1, Race 2 - Indiana Governor's Cup
@Mickey Thanks Mickey, that's awesome, I love the intro!